Sunday, November 18, 2012

Aliens are cool

Let's talk about aliens.

Who hasn't wondered if we are alone or not? With the vastness of space, it is entirely possible that other intelligible life we'd recognize exists. I can't say it does, but I can't say it doesn't.

Question is, do I believe in aliens visiting Earth? And I can say I don't really believe that.

I base that belief in the realization that the accounts I have heard are not terribly convincing. A lot of really poor accounts does not snowball into a solid argument, you just end up with a lot of slush. A stack of baloney never becomes a steak.

I also consider the distances that would have to be traveled to get here, and the scope of such a trip would surely mean that we'd need to face an alien way more advanced than us, and why would they then want to engage us? To eat us? To enslave us? Possibly. But it seems like it would take a lot of resources to send sufficient aliens here to do that, resources better spent on developing their own technology to more cheaply solve the problem they'd need us for.

I think it's really cool to think about aliens out there, and maybe visiting Earth, but it's fantasy. I know it isn't a realistic thing. It's illogical, the personal accounts do not compel me, and there's no reason to believe in it without better proof than the hearsay we get. Not saying it is impossible, just highly improbable.

Do you agree with my viewpoint? I think you probably do, more or less.

The doubt I hold in alien visits is identical to the doubt I hold in supernatural deities. It's fun to imagine in a fictional context, but it's pointless to accept as truth because there is no evidence to elevate it from a neat idea to a serious proposal.

But what if I am wrong, and this god I don't believe in punishes me?

And what if you don't see the aliens coming, and they eat you?

But you are confident the aliens aren't coming, aren't you? You don't really fear that. You can't be bothered. It's science fiction. It's fantasy.

If you can't be bothered to live every day in fear of joining an imminent alien buffet, then why do you bother with the equally pointless concern as to whether you are pleasing the god you've only heard about?

No comments:

Post a Comment